Thursday, June 12, 2008

HP's Anti-Scientific Calculator

I saw a post on Engadget about these new HP calculators and thought...man, that's gonna be a bitch when it comes time to change batteries - ten screws?

Aside from that, I thought it looked pretty cool and wondered where I might score one or two of them.

What do you know? I got two today. It feels hefty, seems well built, comes with a hole for a lanyard (not sure why) and has a magnetic strip in the back so I can stick it to my fridge.

The best part? No reverse polish notation!!! I hated those RPN calculators with a passion. Not only were those unintuitive, what with the "enter" key - there is no "enter" in math!

Maybe it was because when I was taking calculus my friend handed me his HP calculator and watched me unable to make a simple multiplication.

I think I'll keep one, and regift the other one when I can't be bothered to go out and buy something meaningful...

Oh yeah, this thing can't even do square root, which means the crappy little key ring calculator I got sometime ago is functionally more complete.


But hey, the HP looks nicer on my desk...


3 Comments:

Blogger Unknown said...

RPN was the bomb man! The HP-28 (which I still have and is still working) got me through calculus and differential equations.

These things look like they were built for a SEAL team to use. I didn't even know we had calculators like this.

9:46 PM  
Blogger Peter said...

Stacks suck. RPN sux.

Thinking as such sux!

Why think at all? ;)

11:17 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey! Would you mind if I share your blog with my zynga group?

There's a lot of people that I think would really appreciate your content. Please let me know. Many thanks

my site; cheap computer desk 2012

10:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home