Monday, May 01, 2006

Lamborghini Murcielago

It was a very nice afternoon here in the sunny portion of the Pacific Northwest that is Vancouver, Washington. I decided we should go for a drive to the Bonneville Dam to see the famed sea lions that's been gobbling up our salmon supplies. Something about a very poor count at the fish ladders on the news, I guess. The route is I-14 - winding, twisty, and various elevation changes. We carved through one lane roads nestled between evergreens that open up to grand views of the Columbia River. This is what I expected of a Sunday drive.

I waved at every convertible that I came across, saddened briefly that none of them was another Solstice. Many Mustangs, Audis, Miatas...

Then the road straightened, and up ahead I see a silvery sliver of a car that I couldn't immediately identify. As it drew closer, I realized that it was sitting low, and glimmered a metallic silver that I've never seen before. Could it be another Solstice? I have never seen another outside of the one I climb into every day. I momentarily hold my breath as the other car come into focus.

It was not a Solstice. It was a three-hundred-thousand dollar Lamborghini Murcielago Convertible. By the time I realized that the stunning piece of price-of-my-house-on-wheels was it was upon me. Instinctively I turn my head and raise my hand to wave. My hand pauses in mid-air to the realization that the owner of the Lamborghini is also sideways staring at my car. His hand came up in a wave, and we echange a smile and a nod.

It was a good afternoon.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home